The FiberGeo module creates digital models starting from statistical properties of a nonwoven or a composite, such as the known fiber parameters and the fiber orientation distribution. The digital model is a detailed 3D microstructure of the material that reveals the microstructure and allows the kind of close analysis only possible from a ÁCT-scan.
Furthermore, by changing the underlying statistical model, new materials can be designed and their material properties can be computed. The new design can be compared to existing products and its performance optimized.
FiberGeo realistically models the structure of any porous nonwoven or of fiber reinforced composites. For example, dense fiber networks with a well-defined fiber orientation and without
fiber overlap can be created. Also possible is to model fiber lay-down processes, gradient media, and the distribution of binder.
The modelled fibers can be straight or curved, with various profile shapes (circular, elliptical, rectangular, cellulose, etc.), and the orientation of fibers and the distribution of fiber parameters can be specified.
Model of a gas diffusion layer
Model of a laminat
Model of a oil filter medium
Model of a short glass fiber composite
Examples of FiberGeo applications
- Modelling of filter media and papers for filtration.
- Modelling of short and long glass fiber reinforced composites.
- Modelling of carbon fiber composites and laminates.
- Modelling of gas diffusion layers (GDL) for development of fuel cells.
- Modelling of dewatering felts for the paper industry.
- Modelling of isolation materials like Rockwool.
Additional modules needed?
The GeoDict Base package is needed for basic functionality.
The ExportGeo module can be used to export the generated structures as 3D image (*.raw), as surface triangulation (*.stl) for CAD-programs, or as direct simulation in Fluent / Abaqus.
- Some of the material properties that can be computed for the resulting 3D structure models of porous nonwoven or composites using other GeoDict modules are:
|Pore size distribution, base weight distribution||PoroDict and MatDict|
|Flow resistivity, permeability and pressure drop||FlowDict|
|Effective elastic properties||ElastoDict|
|Large deformations, plastic effects, damage and failure||ElastoDict|
|Effective Diffusivity and tortuosity||DiffuDict|
|Effective thermal and electrical conductivity||ConductoDict|
|Filter efficiency and filter life time||FilterDict-Media and FilterDict-Element|